What’s new with Unicorn?
With the first three months of 2018 having flown by, we thought we’d take stock and provide you with a comprehensive look at what we’ve been up to this quarter.
Supporting the Senior Managers Regime (SMR)
First and foremost, it's hard not to notice the buzz around impending SMR regulation. Replacing the previous Approved Persons Regime (APR), the Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMR&CR) is an extension of Accountability II, and aims to further emphasise the personal accountability of senior people within the Financial Services industry.
With a renewed requirement to instil, maintain, and evidence competency, many organisations now face the challenge of how to bring together the often-distinct elements of training, offline meetings, CPD and overall record keeping. Our Senior Managers Regime course - previewed above - has been added to our Governance, Risk and Compliance library, and builds on topics raised within our existing Regulatory Framework in Banking title. (To preview all courses, don't forget you can register free at www.complianceserve.com).
As Financial Services specialists, Unicorn already supports firms in many elements of Accountability II. The release of our latest eLearning – as well as dedicated SMR platform for mapping responsibilities – means that in combination with established features of the Unicorn LMS, customers will benefit from a number of unique capabilities, including:
- The ability to combine SMR mapping with T&C to go beyond the simple tracking of Functions and Responsibilities.
- Leverage SMR and CR specific data as allocation criteria for relevant learning and assessment activities.
- Incorporate SMR and CR specific data into broader reporting.
- Easily create and assign Fitness and Proprietary assessments to SMF holders or employees who perform Significant Harm Functions.
- Remove any duplication of effort in creating and managing organisation hierarchies and reporting lines across multiple systems.
In an effort to further clarify your responsibilities under the new regulations, we will be producing a comprehensive guide to SMR/CR in the coming weeks – introducing the major themes for those who may not be familiar with the new regulation, and explaining how Unicorn can help get you SMR-ready. In the meantime, you can download the Unicorn SMR tool factsheet here. Alternatively, if you're already a Unicorn customer, don't forget you can speak to your Relationship Manager for more information.
ComplianceServe Course Updates
In an effort to keep our existing GRC content up to date, we have made a number of improvements to fifteen of our existing titles. Highlights include:
- Combating market abuse: We’ve added some additional information about Safe Harbours, making it clear what needs to happen with regard to record keeping in this area.
- MLRO, The role of the Money Laundering Reporting Officer: With the implementation of the Criminal Finances Act ever-evolving, we’ve taken the opportunity to update the wording here around this. We’ve also updated references to The Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017, rather than previous regulations.
- Consumer credit courses: We've updated information on the FCA’s approach to enforcing regulations in the relevant FCA handbook, plus a few presentational tweaks.
- Introduction to BCOBS and the PSRs (Banking & Building Societies): We’ve brought this up to date with information on PSD2, plus streamlined the content to give the user a slicker experience in fewer screens.
- The basics of CASS: We’ve made some amends to this to help the users with a more chronological flow through what’s involved here. In addition, we’ve added some stronger questions in the practical activity, plus given further clarification in the feedback.
We are also pleased to announce that we have started work on the following new titles for Q2:
- Protecting Data
- Mortgage and Home Finance
- Risk Management
As ever, we have added a plethora of new features to the Unicorn LMS platform. As well as functionality relating to CPD settings and registration rules, we’ve also made enhancements to help you with GDPR, and further customisation through the inbuilt eCreator authoring tool.
We have added support for the upcoming GDPR regulations to enable organisation to automatically archive and delete users after a period of inactivity to comply with your organisation's data retention policy. This feature is already available on all our platforms, and can be enabled by navigating to the 'Site Settings' area, and selecting the 'User Archiving' tab.
If you are still looking to get GDPR-ready ahead of the impending May 25th deadline, it’s important to note that we also have the content side of things covered. Our ‘GDPR Essentials’ and ‘GDPR for Managers’ courses are available as part of our full GRC catalogue, or as a standalone bundle (until the end of April). If you’d like to try either or both courses, you can register here.
We’ve also made a
number of updates to the eCreator authoring tool.
As many of you already know, Unicorn LMS offers a powerful inbuilt authoring tool as part of its standard functionality. eCreator allows you to build bespoke pages and modules to complement existing courses from our wider catalogue, and we're pleased to announce that we are supercharging it with even more functionality
We have added a number of new templates – including menu and Q&A screens – as well as enabling fully customisable text colour throughout, furnishing you with better functionality to brand or personalise your designs.
Don’t forget, you can access all platform release notes here - including full details of all enhancements to the eCreator tool.
If all that wasn’t enough to be getting on with, we have exciting news about the future of our updates. As well as welcoming a brand new face to the Unicorn family (you can check out my welcome note here!), we’re also shaking up the format of future updates – swapping our posts like this one for shorter, snappier vlogs to bring you all the highlights in a super-bitesize fashion.
In line with GDPR, we are also asking everyone we’re in contact to confirm that they still want to hear from us. If you want to get future video and blog updates direct to your inbox, make sure you are subscribed to the blog using the sign up forms on this page. Otherwise, we will be contacting everyone in our database in the coming weeks and asking for confirmation that you still want to hear from us.
Watch this space!